Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Rise of Far East Movement (FM)

According to Wiki, Far East Movement's been around since 2003.  I'd heard inklings of them from various Asian-American sites but not being a fan of hip-hop music, I never paid them much attention.

It wasn't until I ran across the song "Girls On The Dance Floor" which drew my attention.  It combined rapping with dance beats and I was in love.  I'd always listened to dance, trance and other electronic music and this was perfect.  In fact, many other acts like the Black Eyed Peas and others were getting into the hip-hop / dance music act.

When Far East Movement released their album "Animal", I immediately purchased and loved it.  There were many great songs and I thought it was a shame that only a small market of people would likely purchase the album.  Anytime I was in the car, I made it a point to pump up the volume a bit when I had the "Animal" album playing.

"Girls On The Dance Floor" did well enough to garner some national attention and Far East Movement ended up signing a contract with Interscope / Cherry Tree Records.  Far East Movement has followed up Girls On The Dance Floor with several other songs:

"2 is Better"
"Go Ape!"
"Like a G6"

While Girls On The Dance Floor was a club hit,  "Like a G6" is looking more and more like the breakout hit they have been looking for.  The song has been playing in Bay Area powerhouse stations Wild 94.9 and Movin' 99.7  In addition, "Like a G6" debuted in Billboard Top 100 list at #92.

"Like a G6" by Far East Movement (Video)

The success is well deserved and I hope the guys keep it up.  Asian Americans have plenty of underground artists but not many have had mainstream success.  Far East Movement is looking to break that trend and be a role model for many Asian-Americans in the years to come.

0 comments: