Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Impressions: Blackberry Torch = IPhone 4 LITE

My first ever smartphone was the Blackberry Curve 8310 from AT&T.  I've had the curve for about two years now and enjoy it greatly.  With the release of the IPhone 4, I have been quite tempted to join the Apple bandwagon.

I have to admit that I like the IPhone 4 especially for it's browser, camera and video camera.  The negatives (for me anyway) has always been the lack of a physical keyboard.   With supplies limited, I've been sitting on the fence about getting the IPhone 4.

However, when the Blackberry Torch was announced a week ago, I was intrigued.  A touch screen Blackberry, new operating system AND a physical keyboard?   Today was the first day the Torch was at AT&T stores and I went to check it out.

My initial impressions was I was a little disappointed.  The new browser in the Torch was nice but I could not get the screen shift when I tried to go to the widescreen view.   Also, the touch screen wasn't particularly responsive and I had trouble clicking on the proper links on websites.

In addition, there were times I didn't know how to navigate back to certain screens using the touch screen.  It turned out I had to use some of the physical buttons on the Torch to do so.  To be fair, it was my first time using the phone so perhaps I had a bit of a learning curve.

Unfortunately, since I was at the AT&T store, I couldn't get a feel of the sliding mechanism of the phone.  The phone was locked into place with the keyboard showing.   Using the keyboard was a different experience.  Each Blackberry seems to have it's own distinct layouts.  I find the Curve's keyboard the most comfortable.  I use a Blackberry Bold for work and the keys are a little big for me and it takes a little getting used to.

Using the Torch's keyboard, I thought the keys were a little smaller than the Curve.  In addition, due to sliding mechanism, the keyboard portion of the Torch feels flimsy.   Typing with thumbs as many do with Blackberries may be a little difficult than before.

Overall, I left with a relatively "BLAH" impression of the Torch.   I knew I wasn't going to be blown away.  However, I thought I might leave with the impression that Blackberry created a device that combined the best of the Iphone 4 and Blackberry worlds.  Alas, I think there's still some work to be done.

I don't think the Torch is an IPhone 4 killer.  At best, it may be an IPhone 4 LITE.  It does some things that IPhone does and keeps some of the Blackberry sensibilities.  I think there will be a market for it but RIM shouldn't expect the masses clamoring for the Torch like the IPhone 4.

1 comments:

Poker Face (aka VC) said...

Hey Don - Did you consider an Android phone? Anyhow, I ordered the Droid X from Verizon. From the look of it and the usage from my friend's recommendation, it's pretty good. Again, I'm not too sure whether AT&T has any good Android phones, but the OS is actually not too bad.