Tuesday, November 3, 2009

SFGate Turns 15!

According to a blog posting on SFGate.com, the site celebrated it's 15th birthday today! See the link below:

SFGate turns 15: A timeline

I knew SFGate had been around for years but didn't realize just HOW long. This birthday brings up some interesting memories. On the date SFGate was started (November 3rd, 1994), I was likely still sitting in a classroom at City College of San Francisco (CCSF). The Internet was a pipe dream to me. I had heard about email from a friend of mine in the East Coast but at the time I did not know where I could get access at CCSF.

It wouldn't be until early 1995 when I got my first taste of the Internet while at San Francisco State University (SFSU). I recall spending hours at the lab sending email, reading Usenet, and surfing with Mosaic and Netscape 1.0.

I don't remember when I got my first exposure to SFGate and have only vague recollections of the early days. While my memories of SFGate are lacking, it brings up the grand OLD days of the Internet before broadband, Amazon, and Internet Explorer took off. Back in those days, it was:

  • Dial up access via SFSU account
  • Unix shell account
  • Pine email reader
  • Tin Usenet Reader
  • 56K Modem
  • Apple IIe
The Internet has certainly advanced in the years since SFGate debuted. Like fine wine, SFGate has improved with age. Happy Birthday SFGate! I look forward to many more!

0 comments: