Thursday, October 22, 2009

Switching Gears (In More Ways Than One)

When I got laid off from my job back in April of this year, I did what most people who are unemployed do. I went online and started looking for jobs. I was confident that I could find a job quickly. However, as reality set in due to the tough economic times, I started to look for alternative things to do while I was looking for a full time job.

I was already a basketball official so I knew that could earn myself some money if I were to remain unemployed for a extended length of time. However, there was an opportunity that was available that I previously did not pursue. The opportunity was to be a freelance writer covering San Francisco high school sports for Examiner.com

After some thought, I decided to apply for the opportunity and was accepted. From about late May until mid-August, I wrote nearly twenty articles covering various aspects of high school sports in San Francisco. I didn't make a lot of money but had some fun writing for a public audience.

However, when I was suddenly offered my old job back a month ago, I had no time to write about the high school sports scene in San Francisco. I considered giving up the writing gig but an idea suddenly came to me. As I am heavily involved in the San Francisco high school basketball scene (fan, official), I switched gears and now solely focus on San Francisco high school girls basketball instead. Why so specific? Another writer in the area solely focuses on the high boys basketball scene so it was decided that we shouldn't overlap.

I just wrote an article last night so check it out here:

San Francisco High School Girls Basketball Examiner

Speaking of switching gears, you will notice that this blog has slightly changed. I originally planned to just talk about pop culture and technology bits here. However, I found that I lacked an avenue to talk about personal stuff (nothing too deep), so I decided to use this blog for the occasional personal thoughts.

0 comments: