Thursday, September 3, 2009

Movie/DVD Recommendation: Viva Cuba

I was reading through several blogs today about Hollywood and the independent film industry and I was reminded about a movie I saw during the 2006 SF International Film Festival called Viva Cuba.

In March of 2006, I went with a female friend (Latin-American) to watch several films in the SF Asian-American Film Festival. A few months later, we went to watch more films the SF International Film Festival and Viva Cuba was one of the films we watched. I read a blurb about the movie in the festival program but otherwise did not know what to expect.

I was intrigued by the story of the two young kids who strove to preserve their friendship despite the many challenges that they faced. However, the one that that stood out was the ending of the movie. Without giving anytime away, the ending was ambiguous yet appropriate. The two young kids were determined to remain friends forever.

If you're looking for a good film that doesn't follow the traditional Hollywood formula, this film is definitely worth a look. The movie is available on DVD at Amazon and other retailers.

(SIDENOTE: I wrote a review on Amazon for the film and recycled some of the words here for the review.)

0 comments: