Friday, August 28, 2009

Nintendo Wii as an exercise alternative

Around the early part of June, I was surprised AND fortunate to win a Nintendo Wii in a raffle run by a basketball league I play in. I'm sure I disappointed the many kids who also play in our league who wanted the grand prize of the raffle.

While I like video games, I wasn't overly excited about winning the Wii. After all, I'd had a Playstation 2 for years but hadn't played any games on it in a long time. I was actually playing more online games (poker, Mafia Wars, etc) and eighties video games (Pac-Man, Galaga, etc) than more recent games.

However, after thinking about it, winning the Wii was a blessing in disguise:

Reason #1
My mom used to play video games on our old Atari 5200. As she's gotten older and video games have gotten more complicated, she stopped playing. However, from playing Wii Sports with my friends, I knew the games were something she could learn to play. An added benefit was the games could get her a little exercise since the Wii Sports games require the player to move around a little bit. For multiple reasons, the doctor has told my mom to get more exercise so I always encourage my mom to walk more. Unfortunately, she doesn't walk as much as she should. However, I think the Wii can serve as an alternative on days my mom doesn't walk. I don't think the Wii can replace any exercise program completely. However, my opinion is that any exercise is better than nothing.

Reason #2
This reason probably applies to me and my mom. As we all know, weather affects people's moods and thus their motivation to exercise. Generally, San Francisco had mild weather but the temperatures have been in the 90's most of today. Because of the hot weather, I've decided to stay at home today (a benefit of being unemployed). I may go out to the East Bay to play basketball later tonight. However, with the warm weather, it could be a challenge to play.

For those days where the weather (hot or cold) is keeping you from getting exercise, the Wii can fill in. I've already played about 30 minutes worth of Wii Sports today. For someone who's in reasonably good shape, I know I'm not going to work up a huge sweat, build big muscles or get in aerobic shape just by playing the Wii. However, I think just getting up and burning a few calories is always beneficial.

0 comments: